Halloween isn't very big here. I think I know why trick-or-treating never caught on (a street-entrance door, especially in an old neighborhood, generally leads not to someone's living room but a maze of inner hallways and a bunch of apartments. If someone rang my buzzer, I'd have to unlock three doors, go down two hallways and a flight of stairs to give them candy. Not happening.) but I can't figure out why costume parties aren't more popular. On the way to my friend Julia's house, I saw a person here and there dressed up, but they were all obviously foreign. We decided to go to one of the foreigner parties, held in a hostel that one of her friends owns. She was dressed as Keith Richards and I went as Lady Gaga. Here's me as Gaga. With Sonia as Rihanna (I don't have a picture of Julia's Keith-ness, which is a shame because her costume was pretty cool). (Taken when she visited me about a month ago: we ALMOST had a costume party ourselves, and got just as far as dressing up. But that's a different post.)
I wonder if the real Gaga has problems with her gums being pinker than her lips. It's a little freaky, I think.
Anyway, the hostel party for me was a bit of a flop. I was over partying with obnoxious American college students when I myself WAS an obnoxious American college student. God knows I no longer have the patience for cross-dressing college boys in tinsel wigs drunkenly singing to the Spice Girls, and girls dressing up as sexy _____s (fill in the blanks. Remember when they talked about this in Mean Girls? Totally true.). Alrightalright I know I dressed up as a singer known for never wearing pants, but come ON. Sexy police officer? Sexy Roman (open toga with gold bra)? Sexy pirate? Funny. Anyway, I called it an earlyish night, making sure to turn the right way when I left the hostel, so that I might avoid catching a cab on Godoy Cruz (a street known for its transvestite prostitutes). Always good advice, but especially so when one is dressed as Lady Gaga.
No comments:
Post a Comment