Thursday

Saturday, 22 May, Lost City Trek, Day 3



I am MISERABLE and there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s the middle of the night, my body burns from mosquito bites and I haven’t slept a wink. I have no idea what time it is and no book to read, and the worst part is, it’s all my fault. I am stupid enough to have had two cups of strong coffee after dinner over a game of cards with Pedro and Arelis, and I can feel the caffeine buzzing in my body, whooshing through my veins, and I am more in the mood to run a marathon than to sleep. The night is so dark that it presses on my eyelids. Outside there is a torrential downpour and I just remembered that I hung all my clothing and my only pair of tennis shoes out to dry on the line, and they are beyond a doubt soaked. In these mountains rain falls twice a day, the air is muggy and I spend all day constantly sweating--all I can think about is wearing sodden clothes for the next four days, because nothing ever gets a chance to dry here. A couple of minutes ago while I was comtemplating that I felt the roof begin to leak on me, and I felt an unbearable tide of frustration replacing my caffeine buzz.

I was the only one who took a top bunk (why did I do that?!?), and I was sweltering between the plastic mattress and the dense covers. I couldn’t bear the thought of keeping the heavy wool blanket on one second longer--but the only thing worse than that would have been getting my only dry outfit wet, so I decided I had to move beds. Fumbling into the blackness, I lowered myself as far down towards the floor as I could, feeling for the coolness of the concrete. The bed was so high up I could barely get into it, but I figured at the time that I was close enough to drop without wiping out. Wrong. I underestimated the drop by about three feet, and when I dropped, the pitch black that had so weighed on my eyeballs did nothing to stop me from crashing. I rolled over a few times and skinning my knee, feeling blood that I couldn’t see. I rummaged through my backpack, trying to find the flashlight I knew I had in there somewhere. The rain hitting our corrugated tin roof was so loud I didn’t have to bother to be quiet. I flopped down on another bed, a bottom bunk this time, and tried to sleep again. The rain died down and I almost drifted off, and then.....I heard something shuffling at the end of my bed, and there was a RAT down there! I threw something at it, it ran off, and here I am. I am infuriated because I can’t sleep and I’ll be a zombie tomorrow. I want someone to feel sorry for me, but I’m too proud to complain to anyone else. I asked for this. I paid money and hiked two days through the mountains to get here and there ain’t no easy way out. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment